The KwaZulu-Natal Blind and Deaf Society was established in 1936 with the main purpose of providing services to improve the quality of life of Blind and Partially-Sighted people. During the 1960s it expanded its scope to provide services also for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people.
Today, the Society provides services mostly to African people, generally poor, unemployed and living in rural areas with no services. The biggest challenge is how to improve their quality of life. It is bad enough to be utterly deprived without disability, but the addition of Blindness or Deafness makes their lives completely impossible without services, and very many receive no services.
The mission of the Society is to ensure that all Blind, Partially-Sighted, Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deafblind persons take their rightful place in society as members who contribute and benefit from society side by side with their counterparts who do not have these disabilities.
The school was established in 1954. The school today is situated in Pietermaritzburg and has 204 learners with 152 living in the school’s hostel.
Established in 1969, the school is situated in Amanzimtoti (South of Durban) with 150 day learners.
Established in 1983, the school is located in Inanda (Outer Durban) and has 285 learners with 100 living in the school’s hostel.